Welcome to The Dead Horses Project: “Focused on things that don’t work…and replacing them with things that do work, for the common good of all.”
Help:Create new page
From Dead Horses
Please note that if the page already exists, this will forward you to the current version.
- Search to see whether someone has written a similar page before you start one yourself. Choose the title carefully.
- Review conventions of the project you are working in regarding e.g.:
- Naming conventions; see also Help:Page name.
- Whether a separate page is justified; perhaps it is better to add the text to a related page (especially if the text is not very long); that page can always be split later, after it has grown.
- How-to guidance for writing regarding style, content and formatting. Here is a sample article for recommended formatting.
- While creating the page and before saving it, check the What links here link on the creation page. Align the new content with existing links, or change the new title, or fix the other links.
- If nothing points here, the page is isolated. Links to it will need to be added on other pages.
Guidelines for creating a new page
To start a new page, you can click the Create page link on the left navigation menu, and input the subject in the input box and click on "Create page" button. If the article already exists, it will take you to the edit mode of the existing page; otherwise you will be creating the page anew with a default template provided by the system. More information on Wikitext formatting would be in the following section.
It is strongly advised to use Preview function beforing saving your page.
Please note that links to non-existing pages are common. They are typically created in preparation for creating the page, and/or to encourage other people to do so. Links are not only convenient for navigation, but also make people aware of the new page (those who read a related page and also those who watch the related page). New page links are not really broken, as long as the name correctly identifies the intended content. (A new page link with a "wrong" or misspelled name, or that duplicates content found under another name is "broken", but in a different sense.)
New page links typically look different from links to existing pages. Depending on settings, a different color or a question mark is used. (Sometimes links to new pages are called "red links", the display option of one of the settings). Links to non-existent pages are created with New page name from the wiki editor. (In this case, the empty page "New page name" would be created).
Of course, you can also create the link yourself, in a related page, index page or your user page. However, it may be better to wait with creating links until after creating the new page, especially if the new link replaces one to an existing page. In this case, create the link but press Preview, instead of Save. From preview area, clicking the new link will create the new page (without updating the referring page).
Formatting using Wikitext
Please check the Help:Editing page for tips on using Wikitext.
Dead Horses has a recommended format on articles. The suggested sections are already included in the template when you create a new page, also you can see this sample page: How War is a Dead Horse.